Crowns and Inlays/Onlays
Some teeth require a complete or partial coverage of the tooth structure to protect them. In some instances a part of the tooth may have been fractured off, a filling may be too large, or there may too much decay in the tooth to place a filling. In these cases either a full coverage crown, inlay or onlay be be needed.
An inlay or onlay is a lab fabricated restorative piece that fits nicely onto your tooth to replace the lost tooth structure. The advantage of this versus a crown is that less tooth structure needs to be removed in order to fully protect the tooth. Inlays and onlays can be made of gold, porcelain or lab fabricated composite.
For teeth which require crowns, one of the best esthetic options today is a Zirconia fused to porcelain crown. These crowns are extremely natural looking as well as durable and strong.
Zirconia is a material which is very similar to the translucency of tooth structure and unlike traditional metal fused to porcelain crowns, it allows light to pass through, giving it an very natural look. It is stronger than pure porcelain crowns and can have the same great esthetic result. Metal crowns can cause a black hue to gums overtime and are especially noticeable when a patient smiles.
Restore Your Smile & Confidence!
Call (818) 508–7272 for a
Crowns or Inlays/Onlays?Crowns, Inlays-onlays have distinct advantages for different patients. When a large filling can no longer be replaced as a filling, your dentist should give you the following options. Remember there is nothing stronger than your own tooth structure; onlay’s and inlays conserve more of your tooth.
Porcelain/ E-max Inlays and Onlays (partial crowns):
- Are more conservative of the natural tooth structure, require less shaving
- Protect the tooth from cracks as effectively as crowns (specifically onlays)
- Look very natural and blend with your tooth
Porcelain or metal/porcelain crowns:
- Are indicated when there is more loss of tooth structure than a partial crown can replace and protect
- Protect the tooth better from recurrent decay if you are prone to decay
- Can change tooth shape and color better if needed
- Are indicated if you are a heavy grinder
Before & After Images
Click to see larger image: